This is such a simple pudding to make and perfect for the Autumn nights.
Jam Sponge Pudding Recipe
- 100g (4 oz) butter or margarine
- 100g (4oz) caster sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- A few drops of vanilla essence
- 175g (6oz) self raising flour
- a little milk to mix 30ml
- (2tbsps) strawberry jam
- Grease a 900ml (1½ pt) pudding basin
- Cream together the fat and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the beaten eggs and the essence a little at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Using a metal spoon, fold in half the sifted flour, and then fold in the rest, with enough milk to give a dropping consistency.
- Put 30ml (2 tbsps) jam into the bottom of the greased basin before adding the pudding mixture.
- Put the mixture into the basin, cover with greased greaseproof paper or foil and secure with string.
- Steam for 1½ hours.
- You can finish off in the oven for 5 mins, to finish off the top of the sponge.
- Place a plate on top of the glass bowl and turn upside down.